After you complete treatment, you should meet with your oncology team to understand how successful treatment was, prepare for any lingering side effects, and make a follow-up care plan. Here are a few questions you can ask your oncologist to have all the information you need to adjust to life after cancer.
- What kind of care should I expect now that treatment is finished? Will someone different oversee my care now that treatment is done?
- What is the chance that my cancer will return? Am I at higher risk of developing another cancer now?
- What symptoms, side effects, or late effects should I expect? How long should I expect them to stick around? Should I be worried about any of them or tell you about them? Who do I call if I notice these symptoms?
- Who do I need to see for follow-up care? How often?
- What records should I keep about my treatment? Is there a treatment summary I can have to show future doctors?